Sunday 24 March 2013

Interview with Ru CuteGeek

"Ru CuteGeek"
We caught up with the raptress, who shot to fame in 2011 after stirring a controversy with the award winning single titled "Million Dollar Chick" at the NAMAs, for an interview. Ru is nominated yet again for the NAMAs, and this time in the Best Hip Hop category.

Q: Who is Ru?
A: I am the gynoid (droid) that was created by mankind to give birth to ‘out of the box’ music… Was created about 20 years ago right here in Windhoek and I grew up over on the hill in Klein Windhoek, where I still reside to this very day. I am very attracted to any form of art, be it visual, abstract or audio. Over all, im a 20 something year old fembot that’s trying to make a mark in the music industry and have mad fun while doing so.

Q: When did you start rapping?
A: I started engaging in rap in the year 2008, I associated myself with hip hop heads at theater school, the likes of Jaycee Cole, MRock, Andy C’vla and Nel-D. They had hip hop nights and I found myself very attracted to the art and the pushed me to partake. I started recording underground music, just getting repped for my breakthrough into the Namibian Music Industry. In 2010 I finally release my first commercial single “Million Dollar Chick” which went through to winning me best single in the 2011 NAMA (Namibian Annual Music Awards). That’s how I basically catapulted onto the scene.


Q: How did you fall in love with the art?
A: It was my association, Nas says “association breeds similarity” and basically that’s how I got drawn to Hip Hop. Attending HipHop shows at theater School almost every weekend and constantly hanging out at the studio, you just fall in love with creating music. It becomes your best friend, you can tell this friend absolutely anything from good moments to not so good moments. Most def my true love.


Q: Who has been your inspiration?
A: I seek inspiration of a variety of sources, not necessarily humans. My non human inspiration comes from life in general. Life is never ending cycle of creation. My human inspiration would have to come from Nas, Eminem, Missy Eliot, Cindy Loupe and S.O.A.D. I admire their ways and outlooks on life in general.


Q: Who are your top 5 local rappers?
A: 5. KK ( I love his flow very articulate and that’s an important thing in Rap)
4. Morgan Syndicate (very underrated, but once he starts spitting, his bars grip you, love his style)
3. Kanibal ( total whyler, but with that being said he help buid the musical foundation right here. Mad respect!)
2. Mark Question (thers no question there! He isn’t human)
1. Ru CuteGeek ( Yes! I suffer from an acute condition called conceit, lol )


Q: Do you think the rap game is sleeping on female MCs?
A: Oh contraire, the female MCs are sleeping in the game. Literally, I mean why do we as females constantly want to be spoon-fed? Oh just coz you where a skirt you what everything made easier? No way! Ladies need to be prepared if they want to make it in this industry. Do your research and don’t be that one hit wonder. We have to stop doing things half heartedly. Yes we have heard
it countless of times that this is a male dominated industry, but what does having a phallus have to do with being a professional rapper? Its just determination and some knowledge one needs.


Q: How come we don't hear collabos from female rappers in Namibia?
A: We have, I am on one with about 6 other female rappers. It received airplay but I must agree that the collabos are limited, id have to say its that attitude that many females have towards each other. The whole “I need to be the only female MC” idea needs to die. Check out the female rappers of nam First Lady, Snowflake, Lioness & Shakira just to mention the ones that I wouldn’t mind working with. I’M PRETTY SURE THERS PLENTY MORE.


Q: Being a successful female rapper, Do you think female rappers are under pressure to work hard to compete with the male artists?
A: No. there is absolutely no pressure, as long as one perfects and works at growing in their art they can start a class of their own. I repeat, Gender has nothing to do with this. Its just how you put yourself out there. Your only competition is your last work because your following will always grow with you.


Q: What do you think of the Namibian Hip Hop industry?
A: I think it’s a teenager that is battling to finding its identity (it has grown but isn’t there yet). But this teenager is street-smart and confident. (the industry is heading in the right direction)


Q: Your local celebrity crush?
A: One of the PDK boys… ooh those moves mamamia!

Q: What should we expect from Ru in the music industry?
A: From me you just have to expect the unexpected. Life is just way too short to be mediocre! I’l be blasting you from the fashion scene, the film scene and most def the music scene. Watch this space!

Q: The gentlemen would wanna know, are you single?
A: I would like to inform the gentlemen that the following post is vacant:

Post:
- Boyfriend

Requirements:
-Intellect
-Own car would be an advantage
-More requirements can be received upon request.

Add me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. my people.

1 comment: