Wednesday 5 March 2014

Interview with O-town's producer Don-Jay

Producer DonJay
 We met up with the most promising producer from O-town DonJay, who is the in house producer of Street Division Music (SDM) by fellow O-townian, rapper M.C-RAY. Check out his Qs & As with Nam Hip Hop News:
 Q: Who is Don-Jay, what is he about?
A: Don-Jay is just basically a young ambitious and curious producer. I am all about music, all about keeping it real IN ALL CATEGORIES.

Q: How did you start with music production?
A: Started many years ago, like a decade ago. I started with FL Studio, listening to those beats on FL and tried to change em to the sounds that I want till I perfected my skills to the point that I could start my own beat from scratch. I realised that it was easy using the program and I started liking my own beats more the beats on the program. I banged some for my friends who were also musically influenced and they also liked my sounds. I then went on to experiment on other programs, I went out to meet producers in the hometown although they weren’t trynna teach a nigga what’s cutting, regardless of that I continued to perfect my sound. Moms & pops didn’t approve, that’s one of the reasons that motivated me to improve my sound to prove to them that I have the best sound in the country and Africa!

Q: What influences your sound, what’s your inspiration?
A: The old musical legends I grew up listening to, the like of Ras Sheehama, Jackson Kaujeua, Willy Mbuende, that’s now locally. Some legends from the neighbouring countries as well, like Lucky Dube, PJ Powers, Ishmael Lo, Brenda Fasie, Stimela to name a few. When music evolved into a new era, I connected to western music, Hip Hop, the likes of Makaveli The Don, B.I.G, Snoop Doggy Dogg, the whole West coast. Other than that, I’m an artistic person, I get inspired by art.

Q: Who have you worked with thus far?
A: I worked with MC-RAY and Keith K, those are the niggas I started with back in 2001. I also produced for Ill Mic, F-zone, O-town’s Finest, till niggas heard my sound in the city, niggas like DVD, Dante, Dufflebag, Jean Michael, Tesh Lavo. Produced for some kwaito guys too, like Amadix, Johnny ya Kamps.

Q: What are you currently working on?
A: Currently I’m working on that TCTL/SDM project with my nigga MC-RAY and I’m also working with Bella Harris. Working on a Kwaito project with Nguti Fruit too, as well as DJ Omfana with his accomplice Porch.

Q: Your local Top 5 rappers?
A: MC-RAY, Tesh Lavo, Jean-Michael, Southwest and D-Jay, no particular order.

Q: What type of eye candy?
A: I like natural girls, I’m not really the type o guy that looks at appearances.

Q: Local celebrity crush?
A: Dillish, I hope she doesn't get married.

Q: The ladies would wanna know, are you single?
A: I am always single.

Q: How do artists contact you for beats?
A: Facebook, my contact info is also on facebook, and on my e-mail cashmwandi@gmail.com.

Q: Your last words?
A: I just want everybody who is working on a movement to take their movement seriously. Not to get influenced by a lot of people who don’t have direction, and they have to be comfortable with criticism. Peace out

No comments:

Post a Comment