Wednesday 26 March 2014

Interview with Jean-Michael



Former member of the rap group Run N.A.M.S Jean-Michael just dropped his debut album not so long ago, accessible on soundcloud (CLICK HERE TO SCREEN THE ALBUM). Collaborating on the smash hit title song "Rise & Shine" with Elemotho which premiered on Youtube in December (CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO). We caught up with the star for an exclusive interview, check out the Q&A with NHHN:

"Jean-Michael"
Q: People may have their perceptions on who you are, but according to you, who is Jean-Michael?
A: Jean-Michael is the Tip of the Spear. Passionate about whatever I indulge in. You can say I wear my heart on my sleeve.

Q: When and how did you start doing music?
A: I feel like I have been doing music all my life really. I used to make my own version of songs from my old man’s music collection ever since I was a kid, but real talk I started recording around 2009-2010.

Q: Your break-through in the industry was during the days of RUN N.A.M.S, how was it like working as a group?
A: It felt like boot camp in a proud sense. I was lucky to be surrounded by a group of highly talented individuals. We had Becoming Phil, who was conducting the symphony. He used to send niggas home if their verses weren't up to par LOL. That’s my family and they shaped my career no doubt and I learned from every single one of them boys.

Q: And how is it like working as a solo artist, breaking away from the group and all?
A: It’s hands down me, me, me when it comes to everything. It’s a welcome challenge that has made me grow and be more personal with my work, I am maturing as a Artist.

Q: What was the defining moment of your career?
"Lil D & Stitch showing support"
A: Performing at the Old Mutual Jazz Fest tops it for me. I remember prior to the whole auditions they couldn't believe a rap group was going to even give it a shot. Not only did we make it, we got to perform with the headline act himself me Jimmy Dludlu. It was bananas!!! The following year we were also the only act to perform with Liquid Deep at Blanche Khumalo's fashion show at Safari Hotel. That was another proud moment, and moments I wanna build on.

Q: Rumour has it that there is speculated beef or animosity between you and a fellow member of RUN N.A.M.S, Southwest, is there any truth in that?
A: Those are domestic issues between two brothers just not seeing eye to eye, wouldn't call it beef. Real niggas know what time it is with me, so I don't get caught up in the talking.

"Jean-Michael CD Launch"
Q: Your debut album just dropped, and no doubt you have a concrete place in Hip Hop, we've seen the progress. So what do you say about Catty Cat's "Destroy & Rebuild" campaign, and his saying that Nam Hip Hop needs to shape up? And what's your take on the state of Hip Hop right now?
A: I felt it was a dig at our progress, a low blow kinda situation, but when I saw it for what it was it actually spoke volumes about our progress. We moving!

Q: What are we to expect from you this year, seeing as you just dropped, and promotions are still going on?
A: Expect to see more videos and more performances on this calendar year, and I will be releasing my follow up album come end of the year. Right now I'm just trynna put this marker down so I can take it up a notch.

Q: Hip Hop is a male-dominated industry, what is your take on female rappers in Nam? 
"Fans showing support"
A: I've run into a few ladies out here who got true game.O'girl jus needs a platform.

Q: Your local top 5 rappers?
A: honestly there is a gang of talent out here scrap, am not gona out anyone on a pedestal.

Q: your local celebrity crush?
"A fan showing off her copy of Jean's album"
A: Ruby the Dime(mean back).

Q: And lastly, the ladies would wanna know, are you single?
"061Music crew at the CD Launch"
A: Rolling Solo Dolo…holla at your boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment