Thursday 13 March 2014

Artist to look out for: Ray



Gobabis underground rapper Ray AKA Rayvolution has had people nodding to his sounds, since the WAHHN platform was created for rappers to be heard in Namibia. The winner of the WAHHN competition that was launched when KaniBal dropped a beat for anyone in the group to lace, and left the public to vote for who they were feeling the most.
"I've always loved music and I grew up listening to pop and R&B, boy bands were my thing and I used to sing when I was younger, until my voice broke. When I was around 11 or 12 my uncle introduced me to Eminem, "kill you" was the first song I heard by him and I was hooked", said Ray. From that moment, he became an avid rap fan, and was just fascinated by what one could do with words. During high school he started building up his raps, practicing writing rhymes and would always participate in rap battles that were held at his school, Wennie Du Plessis Sec

"Ray at a Rap Battle"
When he moved to the city to pursue his studies he linked up with Basil Chaka an MC/producer that he met through Facebook, who would later become his good friend, and about a year later they started recording their first tracks(CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE SONGS), and 2 years later he met Bertholdt, for whom he wrote three songs, two for his album and one as favor to Ray's friend for his wedding. (CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE SONGS). He participated in Ambassador Star's weekly Choto Rap Battles, and various battles altogether. He also participated in NAmTv's popular Zone sessions (CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO).

"Ray at the Choto Rap Battle"
"I then met KaniBal on facebook and joined his mission to uplift Hip Hop in Namibia through his group We Are Hip Hop Namibia (WAHHN) and we will not be ignored, and I recently laid a track to be featured on the multi-artist compilation album for the group", said Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment